Monday, March 9, 2009

The Eve

The eve of exit. Temperature 15 outside. Water ruined. In 20 hours, the airplane door will open to a new world, a new eco system, climate, sociology, language. I’ll be a dumbfounded Columbus. Columbus in Awe. I am.. actually … frightened of the unknown.

To make a blog, gives me reservations. It seems such a narrsistic endeavor. But I am instructed that there are those who would be interested in the “I” statements of a wanderer. Told that this would be a good way to be in contact. But is it contact? Is it not a another one way cyber conceit? How, if the heart is told to many, can one hold it close?
To all of you then, I apologize. Apologize but proceed. Proceed with endless “I”.

It is unknown from this eve, how much will be written here. Obviously, one must stop life to blah, blah bout it. One must find some net connected place, charging Quetzels or Peso’s, and fight your message through the wires of the world. What can be the message, that others have not lived or watched on the travel channel? It is only different because it is happening to me, because it is new and unique to me, as I have never strayed from the sage of the west. So I will try to limit the consumption of burritos, the muggings that I anticipate, the transportation in confusion. I will try to keep your attention with the stories that swirl around me, other stories that I make, things unseen to me before and the philosophies of connections.

I spent too much on credit cards. For this irresponsibility, I am rewarded with a plane ticket to Cancun, as far south as the airline goes. But hotels and beaches interest me not, so the plan is to Chicken bus it south, into Belize, then beyond. I have a meeting with Captain Sterling Vorus on Ambigius Cay … along the way. He a treasure hunter extraordinary, a hovercraft client on that other road to world conquest. Google has some interesting things to say about him. Then down into Guatemala, down to the southern coast, there to live for 2 weeks with a family, take Spanish courses in a shoebox school on the shore. From there, not sure. Possibly into the jungle to find the Ruby Eye, maybe south more still to Costa Rica. Maybe such news will show up here.

But now, now I fret in the face of the unknown. Soon the future will heal with reality. Know that I love you all.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck my friend! May you find the happy flow of the wanderer. May you say yes to everyone. May the sun be kind and the water deep with color. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! this IS your day, week month, YEAR. go forward my friend with the most open of minds and like frost said, I know you will take the road less travelled. will be following you here and btw, if dontlike I statements simply leave out the "I". it works like so: had to stop by to say have the time of life. watching blog for updates. keep clear mind brother. S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and then there is an amazing feeling of leaping. your feet have left one side of life and are air born, bound to be caught in the wind and pulled by unknown gravities. naturally, there is a moment of panic. but to keep your eyes and heart open as your feet tread air and your body hurtles toward the unknown is the challenge. and each step changes our lives....

    I've been indulging in narcissistic philosophical pondering (obviously...) between studying, dancing, indulging myself in a summer fling and fighting the cockroach hoards in my apartment.

    and the adventures continue.

    all the best! all my love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ruby eye of adventure is always winking at us, Cha. Wink back. Just remember that the gators run faster than you, the monkeys bite harder,the llamas spit further, and if you get the opprtunity, stroke the wing of a fruit bat.
    Love,
    Gator Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charles -

    Wishing you the undefined, ever expansive, far from mundane, adventure that you seek.....the opportunity to embrace it in its entirety, meshed with feelings of excitement, contentment, appreciation, wonder and gratitude.......and know that "I" or no "I", you are loved and "ohana" to many...

    aloha nui,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S.....Praise Allah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you Charles ,Its about time. I know what you mean .It is scary. I too will venture out soon.To Cambodia in one month. Searching not physical treasure but invisible possibilties. I too will travel alone in my quest.
    Gee all this sounds so portentous.Mythic.
    It is so.
    Be well my friend

    ReplyDelete