Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sea to sea in a day

First of all, thank you beautiful Kori for your words. Yes, let us dance, dance in life.

The boat ruide across some vast gulf to Guatamala is wonderful. Beautiful flat azul sea. Tide rips. Huge mountians laying a black ragged shadow in the sky. One of the engines craps out midway. the captian kills the other so he can hammer on the agrived motor. Adrift in the Carribean. Sorta romantic. I`m the only one with a bottel of water, so I get the first pick of who to eat. Eventually he fires them both up, and just to show who`s boss, opens tham both wide and blasts across the water. The top speed of this displacement nightmare is about 30 with 400 HP.

Soon we hove into punta Barrios. Well named. The shore is a hozontal garbage pile. A hustler directs me to immagration 2 blocks away for a stamp. These guys could give a shit. i could have 20 kilos of white powder in my pack. I could have walked in without bothering their perpetual siestia. Then through a dozen blocks of destitute slum to the bus station. Open fetid sewers, crumbling one story rathole houses, starved sore covered dogs cowering along with us. This is a hungry place. I give Antonio 10 Quetzels, about a buck 25. He did me right. Hope I did him similar.

20th, I think. Maybe Friday. On the bus through Guatamala. Buss stopped at a cafertiera, 15 min. I havent eaten in a day or so. I get 3 somethings with sauce. Most delisioush shit I can remember. About 50 other things I`d like to eat there too. Parinoid that the bus will leave without me. Just rained, now warm and muggy. Nice, really. Along the way, people living in holes carved into road cuts here. A 4x4 back in 5 feet, part of a tarp for a veranda, three kids and a male, sitting, staring .. idle. I see this eveywhere. Poverty. Stupor. Everyone just lazing around doing nothing. Waiting. For what? It reminds me of jail. But at least there, a relief could be coming.

A huge beautiful river in this wide valley. The side creeks we cross are full of quartzite and quartz. There is a rounded bolder of quartz half the size of a car in one village. I know there is gold in the hills. Apparently they do not. Sitting on one of the most geologically turbulent places in the world, the crushing zone between 3 tectonic plates, rotating, grinding, and upwelling. Where worlds collide. All the treasure of the deep squezzing to the surface. I am blowing past the blue jade zone. I can communicate no better than an ape. People people everywhere, but not a word to speak. Rolling again. The mountians are magnicifiant. I would love to be in them, teasing out their secrets. But on to Curiad de guatamala. To what fate there I do not know. This is suposedly the most thug infested place in central americia. I am basically terrified.

Cactus now outside. Must be around 2000 feet elevation. Stuccato spanish all around me. I don`t have a clue. Guatamala city. 30 miles in every direction. Sprawling one story bungaloes, many made of scrap trash with smoke billiowing out of rotten board and sheet metal overlaps. Cooking some perro inside a haze, if they are lucky. Mobbed by hustlers at the final stop after weaving through endless lefts and rights of barred stucco. I pause to put together a few phrases. The bus to where I want to go is across town. Helpful bus ticket people connect me to a reputable cabby. I struggle with words with him as he tears up one street and down another, zigzagging apparently at random. He works the stick shift like an icecream churn, accererating madly at every chance. Miles and miles of endless city, crammed with teeming people. 10 near pedistrian murders, as they wrench back in horror from the speeding auto. 20 hairs breath collisions avoided with a prayer, lunging out into traffic, cutting in front of anything, blatent lane changes. For 50 Qetzels, about 8 bucks, I couldnt ask for a wilder thrill ride. I am laughing my ass off out loud, which gives him greater courage, it seems.

We enter a rough looking area of dismanteled busses, repairs ongoing on the street. Then into a jam of 10 busses, hundreds of people, cars wedged in the cracks. "Ahh, Pacificio" he utters in relief. "Su buss, Su Buss". Apparently he has been trying to beat the clock and get me here before it leaves. He blocks the bus with his cab. I am disgourged. My pack handed between scoundral types till I grab it back and climb into the conveyance.

I get a seat. barely fits me and the pack, no room for knees, shredded vinyl all around. They load as many people as are seated again. Totally mashed. I am admonished to share my tiny space, so I crush in more adjusting the pack ontop of me, enough to give a nice young fellow a square foot of butt cling seat. About 5 dozen standing, three to most seats. The horn is blaring. A pull chain for this. The bus inches forward, the knot of busses and cars slowly parts as more people climb on. Then in release from the crush, madcap through the streets, accelerating and tramping the brakes. Another many hours of insane driving, winding through this and that barrio, endlessly. Stopping every quarter mile to let people on and off. I particurally like passing into an oncoming fuel truck. Lots of these combinations for some reason. I can`t care. Must imagine my self as one of Calvins toys in the fated sandbox.

As we desend from the highlands, a massive volcano looms to our right. A 5000 foot perfect cone. Red lava glowing in the now night, smoke and ash dribbling down one side. Very awesom. Must be a lot of earthquakes here. On and on into the night. At one town we are hurridly off loaded and re-loaded through the emergency exit of another bus. Chinese fire drill sort of thing.

Now on the flats again. Palms trees all around. Sprawling civilization and heaps of trash. I am used to coming into a western town, there you are, main street. Here you go on and on through miles of packed miscallanious dwellings and gawdy businesses. After the usual 30 right and left turns through nameless streets, the bus stops. Here you are. This is it. People are nice though. One asks if I`ll be all right. I think so ... let`s see, dark, have no idea where I am, where anything is, how to get anywhere if I knew where to go, and can`t understand jack shit. Yeah .. I`m OK. With my lumbering pack, I trudge away. Make a note .. next to the ICE beer sign .. in case the bus will take me back from here.

Main street. A continious swarm of motercycles, scooters, bicycles, cars and pedistrains. Hundreds and hundreds teeming by. A fiesta in progress. A stage and a band a few blocks down blasting away. I stop at a food stand. loaded tacos for 12 bucks.. 1.50 US. With relish I sit on a stool and consume. Wonderful. No hustlers here. Everyone smiling. Nice. Accepting my weirdness, my ailen-ness. A little loath to face the melee. Coulden`t I just sit here and eat these tacos. Smile at everyone. But I get up and begin asking for a hotel or such. Donda hey casa de, in shitty spanish. Everyone can only understand hotel. My words incomprehensible. Every one directs me in a differnt direction. All indicate like it`s just a few inches this way or that. For 2 hours I walk in circles around various blocks, finding nothing. I gaze down another main street. ICE signs are every quarter block, as far as I can see. I am lost. Sometimes I am part of a Jesus suffering march, a huge idol on a cross, wailing music. Other times I think I suddenly hear gunshots, but find to everyones joy, it is exploding fireworks overhead, randomly shot, stars in the sky to the cheers of us all. Through all, constantly dodging motercycles and cars with the occasional fuel truck deciding to stampede. the only traffic control is to be in control.

A freindly motercycle guy with a kid on his lap directs me more than once in a specific direction. At last I find a big fancy hotel. 4 star. Not my way, but sure as hell going to stop here. 490 quetzels. shit. 60 bucks. Visa pulls through for me. Hell yeah. slam the card. AC .. spanish TV, light, water, bed. I lived .. and like Dan and Kori say ... with a story.

I have no idea where the sea is or how to get out of here. But that`s why they make tomorrows.

4 comments:

  1. god. I dread arriving into a new town at night. a new town at night without a reservation! glad visa was looking out for you. awesome story.

    I've certainly had that feeling, "why can't I just stay here and keep buying your food.... don't throw me back out into the fray..."

    things are going well here. cockroaches in hoards in my apartment. at least the boy I'm sleeping with fixed the hot water heater for me. but music from the plaza below reaches up to my 6th floor room and I can watch the sunset out my window. a neighbor has two enormous white dogs that I can't believe aren't ghosts.

    one more week of intensive teaching course-ness. then freedom. sweet dancing freedom.

    all the best. the adventures continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible, captivating stories!!!! All 3 of you Beyer's have such a gift....for life....and expression....I envy that and am inspired....

    aloha nui,

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice descriptions Bro! You have the makings of a mind blowing screenplay here (-:
    I am reminded of a horrific realization I had while visiting Spain where I was so close to danget (bodily harm) that as it sunk in my entire body shook for a good two hours when I realized how close I came to meeting my maker.
    I had discoverred it was not going to be a good thing to remain with the person I went there to visit. As I headed towards town the sun sunk below the waters edge on the beach. Had to pull over driving to a place where my little LeCar would not be seen from where I planned to stroll. I thought I was invisible. As my toes explored the sand, I walked slowly the moon burst out above lighting the edge of the water, the edge of the sand where stubbly thorn brush weeds grew kind of like grass. Out of my peripheral the moons light caught shadows of people lurking about in a fashion which did not look like teens on the beach, party gooers or anything that seemed OK and right with the world. Telling self these are hallucinations, I am on the beach in Estepona at sundown...half way between an RV Park and town...but there they went again bent taking long steps and the whispering. Not good. Hairs standing up on neck and a sudden urgency as the heart seemed to weigh a ton and my legs turned into the Road Runner. I high tailed it gripping my keys hoping the car was just over the mound or I would surely be dead if it wasn't. Yay! In locked no headlights I sped past where it looked like the people went in to get to the beack and hit the highway for town. Back to the hotel where a nice family had offered me to stay as long as I was there, food was included in lodging (for me).
    Scared shitless and trembling I stood in the foray. The owner and daughter came out and we talked. Between my broken espanol and her not too bad english we talked. However their stories of bodies left naked and cut up on that very beach (by lowlife heroin speed and cocaine junkies...homeless urchins that live off of crime and donations) people who get pulled over on the highway heading North and killed for their car all were not sitting well with me. I went to my room and threw up while running a bath.
    Later on the owner comes up and we sit down in the hotel open room entry way. She tells me "lady dont go anywhere alone. My nephew show you around and you come back here by dark as long as stay here". Next day was the beginning af the best time I had ever had. The nephew, his GF and another friend made me look like a local, we circumnavigated monkey island and the south tip of Spain in the LeCar. We traded off driving went to the internet cafe and danced the night away.
    On my final day I returned to say good bye to the person I had gone there to see. While talking with him his accomplice robbed the trunk of my car for every pesota I had. I only discovered this when I stopped for gas, and am glad I did not know when it had happened. Might have wound up on that beack. Use your peripherals Bro. Take care for now. S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sweet Charlie: This is the most amazing 'read' I have had ever! How long will you be exploring this planet and all it's beautiful or unseemly corners?
    Your courage to just strike out is inspiring; such a rich reward to truly live these days of our fifties instead of letting them direct us in meaningless ways. I wish I could be with you, though you would then be burdened by playing the 'protector'to my helpless princess performance.
    I hope you are taking lots of pictures to illustrate the next book you most certainly will write someday. You could do a whole chapter on the dogs you encounter.
    Here's to you finding peace, nirvana, whatever you search.
    Can't wait for the next installment.
    love you so! cuz Weetie

    ReplyDelete